Monday, December 1, 2008

The Perfect Table...

Thanksgiving is a holiday that we took over several years ago when my Aunt Mary and Uncle Peter became snow birds. They did it BIG, like 30-40 people for a sit down big! It was chaos, it was delicious, it was the BEST! Growing up and going to their house for Thanksgiving was one of those things you always looked forward to for too many reasons to write.

MP and I began hosting for our immediate family in our first home in 2000. Almost married, new home, no children at the age of 29 was a pretty selfish time for us, our time was our own! We did what we wanted and when. We loved to "play house" and entertain friends. And I became little miss perfection (or tried to anyway) always experimenting with food and Bon Apetite recipes.
The perfect table - it was something I wanted so badly since living on our own, a nice table, pretty chairs (unlike the antique ones we inherited from one of our old homes) a warm and timeless centerpiece. Of course, no table/dining room is complete without matching water goblets and wine glasses of both sizes to serve twelve guests. And a chandelier with crystals dangling from it. I had the vision, I just had to create it. And I did. Eventually!

I ended up with my perfect table after years of marriage, bit by bit. It isn't extravagant or what I would do if money were no object (you should see the chairs I wanted-eegads.) I made the best with what we had to work with. The centerpiece, I made, we bought the chandelier from Home Depot, and we bought our chairs partially via a gift card. We purchased all the stemware from a place that sold them for like $2.00 a piece!! My perfect table finally came together last year. I was thrilled to just have stuff match! And - life was good as far as my dining room was concerned. And I was proud of my dining room, I had the perfect table.

This Thanksgiving was going to be different. Our guest list began to grow and MP and I struggled and went back and forth on how to do "the table"... We'd certainly have to rent some nice garden chairs (they wouldn't match, grrr) but we could still swing it no problem in our dining room. Then the guest list grew some more, and a little more. Enough that we couldn't fit everyone at one table in our dining room. So, what to do??? I thought about doing buffet style but I couldn't get my head around it, that's not Thanksgiving to me unless the guest list is overwhelming. And a kids table would be fine with me, but, the way our home is laid out would mean that the kids table would be out of sightline and earshot. NO! We knew pretty soon that we'd have to move the dining room into our great room! We rented chairs, borrowed a couple more last minute when the list grew a tiny bit bigger, and rented a folding table to add to our already 9' table! Then we moved some of our living room furniture out and into our current dining room! Seventeen people at one table! Do-able!

We hit TJ Maxx and bought a couple of $12.- table cloths, used different patterns of plates, put out plastic cups for the toast.
To be honest, I was a little bummed out that my perfect table wasn't going to be very perfect. And I said to my sister on the phone, "this year the table won't be picture worthy."

The guests rolled in and when it was time to sit down and eat our antipasto course, I looked around the tremendously long table, looked at the lit and decorated Christmas tree right next to us and the beautiful fire that was lit in the fireplace. It was beautiful. But what made it beautiful were all of the faces around the table, passing food, smiling, and talking. My husband, who is known for big speeches and putting people on the spot by asking them to say something about the true meaning of being thankful did his speech from the head of the table. Of course, as it is every year, it was very special and wonderful! And every once in a while my eyes wandered up and down each long side of our table, at our parents, my sister and her fiance, my nieces and nephews, and our own children... and do you know what I realized.


This was my perfect table...

I only wish I had time to take more photos/video!

19 comments:

  1. What a touching moment! We are all so blessed by those around us! I am so happy for your family and that you had the perfect table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right... the second picture is a perfect table, but my oh my you have a gorgeous dining room set-up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spread of food and family! A perfect table, indeed!

    BTW, I've shown the Advent Conspiracy to several people and I love it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this post. I think the first table is absolutely fabulous- but, you are right the second one is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the chaotic holidays with lots of family. The table is very pretty and even better with all the families sitting at it. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an awesome post! You are right--it isn't about things...it's about people! Thanks for sharing!
    Also, thanks for your comment on my blog! We are so excited about going to get our girls (a little scared after your experience, but encouraged by the outcome!). God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a perfect table to me!!! What a blessing to have your family close by. I am sure you all had a great time.
    Hey I still cook from Bon Appetit.
    Love, Lenka

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a perfect table! Love it!

    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do think it is perfect indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! It sounds like you guys had so much fun! I wish we lived closer to family. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely post, and,yes, a perfect table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay to imperfectly perfect tables!!! i LOVE this post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool! Definitely two very perfect tables! Happy Holidays to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Normally when I come to your blog, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! Your captions for your photos and your stories always crack me up.

    But this post is different. I love it. It made me tear up. Thinking about the 'perfect table'. What a perfect table it is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it sounds and looks like a wonderful thanksgiving. good for y'all!

    i'm curious, as an adoptive parent in progress, how miss tessa did with the large crowd and this being her first thanksgiving. i'd love to hear about it if you feel like writing about it.

    thanks again for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an awesome blog post and sentiment. It is who sits around the table... what a worthy concept to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was PERFECT and for all the reasons you noted. I love you Lou Lou!

    ReplyDelete